Sunday, April 3, 2016

Almost There

I'm thrilled to announce that my table of contents and cover have been completed. I'm super happy with the outcome and I cannot wait to display them next week :)

Note: The light blue of the original emblem photographed horribly as it was completely washed out by the flash. Luckily, the poster board was reversible and featured a nice dark blue.

My original cover idea fell to pieces, sadly, but luckily I improvised and used a new approach to get across my message whilst still maintaining my theme. I am going to try and implement my old cover idea into the two-page spread.

Just to show my evolution of thought, I'm going to post the original cover idea's outcome and talk about my problems with it.
NOT MY COVER DON'T BE ALARMED
Appropriately saved to my laptop as "coverfail", here we are. I didn't even complete aligning everything because I knew it was a waste of time. My problems with this cover are that it is messy, allows no room for any cover titles/text, and simply appears juvenile. (I think I came up with better presentations in first grade.) My concept was striving for a physical representation of the equality I am trying to promote. I put the photos side-by-side featuring people of different genders, race, and sexual orientation in order to symbolize this. I tried to spruce everything up with photo editing but to me, it just looks tacky and tasteless, completely undermining the sophistication I am aiming for. 

My new cover, which I don't want to post until everything is completely refined, features only Kelly's photo. I deemed this appropriate because she is the main highlight of my cover story. The rest of the photos I am incorporating into the rest of my spread (not all but the ones I feel fit). My simpler yet still artsy new cover definitely appeals to a wider range of audiences, as my old cover appealed to perhaps 6-8 year olds.

I am now going to refine my cover and contents, as well as layout my two-page cover story spread. I am so excited.

Also, being the fairly responsible person I am, I started my critical reflection. (Just going over research and reasoning behind choices I've already made.) However, I was utilizing prezi, which is no longer a viable option due to the free trial expiring in 30 days. I am going to play around with voicethread this week. (I'm not even sure what it is which is why I am not elaborating on it. When I mess around with it I will post about the experience. I'm sure it will be riveting.)

All for now, stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment