Sunday, March 20, 2016

FemArt

As much as I tried to convince myself that I would work tirelessly on this magazine whilst away at the Florida State Thespian Festival, my attempts proved pointless. Although I did not even take my laptop out of its bag, I still observed a lot, amongst the 8,000+ drama students, that actually relates to this project. I thought I would share some of my findings with you. If you wanna learn more about thespians, however, click this.

During the brilliant performance of Romeo and Juliet that my troupe saw Friday night, I was captivated not only by the immeasurable talent, but also the casting choices involving many of the male roles being played by females. The young women did not stage sex changes, however, they merely performed the roles as masculine women. Theatre's transformation for women has officially taken itself to the opposite side of the spectrum. What started as an exclusively male activity (women were prohibited from performing on stage until 1660) has become a female dominated profession. And now, seeing a student-directed masterpiece take a classic play and decide to defy gender roles is nothing short of empowering.

I also witnessed the dramatic impact my own troupe's one act piece, Emotional Creature, had on the lives it touched during its performance. Emotional Creature is a one-act play that exposes the many abuses women around the world suffer. Although the play incorporated the "victim complex" into most of its monologues and scenes, the ultimate message of embracing women as equal to men nestles nicely into the premise of my project. I've attached a clip of a monologue from Emotional Creature here.

Now, I know I said in my first post that my magazine would not be about drama, however, I find that the influence art has had and continues to have on this powerful feminist movement is imperative to at least recognize throughout my research and final product. This is why I am including the digital print inspiration board and am planning to incorporate more of the arts into my magazine's concept.

As I head to New York tomorrow morning, I am nervous about stalling my project's progress. Tonight, I am making a schedule for myself to follow for the rest of spring break.
"About." Florida State Thespians. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Mar. 2016.
Mabillard, Amanda. "Women and the Elizabethan Stage." Women and the Elizabethan Stage. N.p., 20 Aug. 2000. Web. 20 Mar. 2016.
"Nose Job - from Emotional Creature -." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 20 Mar. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment