Sunday, March 13, 2016

Planning

I am currently trying to plan out the making of my magazine to ensure I don't fall behind with everything I've got going on. (On top of everything, I got sick this weekend. Lovely.)

I would also like to clear something up and maybe correct something I've previously stated. I choose not to outwardly label myself as a feminist, but I do personally identify as one. It is the same as the fact that I choose not to go around boasting that I am an environmentalist, although I do believe in the preservation and protection of the Earth. I don't think the labels are necessary because

  1. I don't feel I have enough knowledge about these topics or have acted upon these roles enough to earn a title.
  2. I stand for what I stand for regardless of categorization; if our aim is to try and defeat stereotypes, I think a great way to start is to stop trying to figure out who everyone is by putting a name to their person. I am Suzie and I support full equality for every human being on this planet.
I hope this clears things up. If it makes you feel better I'll just say that for all necessary means of this project and my own life, I am, by my own being, in your vocabulary, what you would call a feminist. I hope that helps anybody who was previously frustrated with my view (and I'm sorry if it's only fueling your fire).

Anyway, I am thinking that because I will be away for the next two weeks, I want to start with gathering the written content for my cover, table of contents, and cover story first. Upon my return, I will acquire all necessary images. 

I think I'm really digging my first idea for the cover with the feminine symbol cardboard cutouts. I believe this will really get across that our humanity fits into every mold we've made, and that every person is equal regardless of these identifying symbols. Also, the feminine symbol is derived from Venus, the Roman goddess of love; perfect for me because love and acceptance are what my magazine is advocating and celebrating. Whomever becomes the topic of my cover story will be displayed in the center cheesing it up with the cardboard emblem.

I would like for my table of contents to include pieces that are both informative and inspiring. This section will have 2-3 images that align with the various stories I am going to feature. Some ideas I have for stories include
  • What is the gender spectrum? An explanation of this concept featuring quotes, testimonials, and scientific research. I believe this is great to include in the initiation of my magazine so that readers understand the aim of my magazine as being for everyone.
  • Pro-My Life This will be a highly opinionated, controversial column on the idea of individual choices. It will cover political and social decisions including but not limited to: pro-life, gay marriage, motherhood, gender choices, appearances, etc. 
  • An inspiration board This will be a two-page, print collage of various inspirational quotes and images compiled from consumer submissions and research. It will feature some artists' names and websites for art up for purchase, specifically artists from minority communities who often face oppression. This will add to the celebration of people as well as help out those in need.
  • Victim. Stories on different topics for different people of all genders, ethnicity, etc. who have dealt with the demoralizing experiences of rape, violence, oppression, discrimination, and stereotyping. This will expose the hardships all humans face that need to be stopped.
These are not concrete as of yet, but definitely feasible ideas I have in my mind.

For the cover and cover story I'm thinking it will be centered around Jania as how she identifies as a feminist and is active within the feminist community. She is also a part of the LGBTQIA community which adds to my idea of acceptance for all. But, we'll see who else I run into along this journey. She has her own project to work on and I keep writing about her here without having even finalized this choice yet. (I promise I'm not a weirdo.)

I also started exploring a magazine publishing/design program called Joomag. It allows you to upload PDFs and customize them into an issue. I have no idea if this will work for my project and I found myself completely flustered when trying to play around with it. Wish me luck.

There's a lot to figure out and it's all very overwhelming, but welcome to life, Suzie-Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment