Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Inspirations

 I've created an inspiration board through Pinterest to gauge a look for my magazine and to compile topics that will inspire its content. It can be found here. (I don't know how Pinterest works but feel free to pin things to it you think would help if you're able.)

I'm also going to attach some images from the board that I feel are spot on with what I am going for and why, and then some images that I and my magazine are completely against and why.


SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK:
This is tackling the stereotype of gendered clothing. It reminds me of the Target scandal involving gender-neutral clothing that seems to not bother anybody anymore. I also love the aesthetics of the image itself; the faded tie-dyed background symbolizes the call for gender neutralization of fashion/aesthetic choices. This could be a theme/look that inspires the look of my magazine. This image is also encouraging me to explore a fashion column for my magazine that defies this specific attire standard.




Pinterest: ρσяcєℓαιиIV Pinterest: @hey_beautiful:         This reminds me of the experiences I had with the girls in my drama program as well as with my sister and mom. Although my magazine is for everyone, girls hating on each other is a huge problem for the feminist community and indeed was an inspiration for my magazine. Simply, we have to unite. In order to do so, we must call for the end to this specific problem. This or a similar image could be a part of the print inspiration board section of my magazine. I also am contemplating adding a story to my table of contents specifically covering this topic. There are many more similar "women for women" images on my pinterest board, so check 'em out!


https://www.etsy.com/listing/244652473/bell-hooks-quote-charity-art-print?ga_order=most_relevant:
I love this image. The artistry, the featuring of a black woman, and the message itself showcase a key aspect of what my aim is with this magazine. Again, this could be representative of something you would find in the print inspiration board of my magazine. I also looked up Bell Hooks and found that she is an author and activist who believes the broad topics of race, gender, feminism, and the impact of media cannot be studied as separate entities because they are all interconnected. This aligns perfectly with the idea of my magazine. I could perhaps even add a column called "Individual of the Month" for someone who advocates for and represents the embracing of everyone and feature her in my first issue.


Okay, so now onto images that I found to be depicting the convoluted versions of feminism.

Lololol. I do like that they refered to it as just a concept though.: Okay, so although the concept of virginity is definitely man-made and is currently perpetuated as a negative status, the term "virgin" actually is derived from Greek mythology and was coined as a symbol of strength and power. From there it was twisted into a frowned upon, man-hating concept, just as feminism was. Yes I completely agree that some historical male figures were huge culprits of discrimination against females. However, the men of today had nothing to do with it. Two things I would like to point out

  1. Because the men this image is wrongfully targeting aren't even alive today, the inaccurate accusation it poses does nothing for the current movement of feminism.
  2. Men are also shamed for being virgins, and sometimes even more so than women. Women also bash other women for being virgins.

This is one reason why when I told some male peers I was choosing feminism for my magazine subject they shot me disapproving looks. This is exactly the kind of thing my magazine is against.

Because we never utter the phrase, "You do that well for a boy." | "#LikeAGirl, Why it Matters" by Marisa Hendrickson:

This next image is simply false. There are so many things we think men are incapable of, simply because of their gender status. Emoting, expressing feelings, and listening are all stereo-typically being pegged as triumphantly feminine.  I also found this article that features statistics regarding custody cases discriminating against men due to the false perception that men can't raise children. This is most certainly a perception that my magazine is striving to discredit.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.": The last image is not necessarily wrong, but it is leaving out the rest of the entire human population. Feminism is the radical notion that people are people no matter what gender, ethnicity, race, size, sexuality, etc. and that everybody inherently deserves equal status, representation, and treatment. I guess that was just too long a definition to fit on the pink triangle. My magazine is promoting "people status" for all, not just women.





Something I've noticed about all the images I've deemed somewhat incorrect is that they focus only on the man vs woman struggle of feminism, leaving out everyone in between. My magazine, as I've reiterated probably an annoying amount of times by now, is for everyone.

I hope you enjoyed my inspirations.

The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Bell Hooks." Bell Hooks. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Bell Hooks Quote Charity Art Print - Recycled Paper." Etsy. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Defining Virginity." Defining Virginity. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
Derespina, Cody. "Target Going Gender Neutral in Some Sections | Fox News." Fox News. FOX News Network, 13 Aug. 2015. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Feminist Quote Print- Feminism Is the Radical Notion That Women Are People Digital Art Print - 5x7 Print." Etsy. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Life And Style on Etsy." Etsy. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
".logo.filled .inner, .logo:hover .inner { Opacity: 1; Fill: Url(#rollover); }." End-girl-hate. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Tardisdocta." Tumblr.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment