Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Making Things Happen!!!!


I am in New York and having a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, there is work to be done.

I am about to tackle the cover story pertaining to my magazine spread. I am going to outline my ideas here for both the content and photos, and then attempt a very rough outline of what the layout will be. I am still planning on using Jania, but she gave me a few other names of people who would be of great use for my project. But, since I'm away, for now we will call my subject "Fem".

My article is going to revolve around the current problems inherent in the feminist movement. Since my magazine is targeting the acceptance and celebration of all people, it would be smart to incorporate the issues it doesn't stand for in order to make clear its purpose, especially for the first issue.

So, first, I am going to gather information about Fem's general life: full name, hometown, occupation, hobbies, leadership positions: basically, I'm presenting Fem with a mock college application. (Fem will feel the pain I've felt all year, if he/she hasn't already.) It will be really important to me when writing my article, as well as to the readers when the final draft is complete, to have a full scope of Fem's life woven into the words.

Next, I am going to ask Fem to simply define feminism. I am also considering uploading a public survey asking participants to complete that exact same task. I then will implement these definitions into the introduction; an array of responses will help provide some context for my story as well as help my readers identify with the situation of my text. Perhaps their own reply would align with one of the answers I gather.

Afterward, I am going to digress from Fem for a bit and discuss some of the findings from my feminism research. Then, I am going to analyze those findings, make my own argument, and Fem will come back into play with support through his/her own observations, data, and testimonials. The purpose of my cover story is to highlight the overall theme of my magazine, and through this informative and inspiring article, I believe the message will get across.

I am planning on having a photo shoot with Fem, most likely out of school. I want the photos to feature Fem doing what he/she loves, as well as embracing her self. (Perhaps I will capture a mirror shot, a silly shot, and a hobby shot.) I am trying to make my magazine as clean, sophisticated, and neutral as my 17 year old self can, so the best decision to ensure the mature aesthetic I am aiming for would be to remove it from the juvenile school environment. Still, Fem most likely will be a teenager, but other components of the layout will blur over the age. The reason I am trying to elevate the stature of my magazine is because I am trying to appeal to a wide range of audience members. If I go in the direction of flashy and too artistic, I may come off as childish and not appeal to an older crowd. I believe the liberal topic will be enough alone to maintain the younger audience population.

Here is a ROUGH sketch of my layout. Yes, I know that it's really boxy and choppy. Once I actually have my content and a better software, it will be much smoother. The font is not necessarily going to look like this, either. And of course, actual cohesive sentences will be present.

   
Tomorrow, I am going to hardcore attack a ton of different magazine design programs and pick one that will work for me. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment